14.11.12

First Blog

I have been toying with the idea of writing a blog for a while now as I have a lot of ideas bouncing around in my head that I think could be worth sharing.  These are prompted by articles and books that I read as part of my continuing professional development, the similarities (and differences) of problems that I come across at the various clinics I work at and ideas that spring from conversations with clients.  

Just to be clear, I will not be revealing anything about my clients in this blog and if anyone feels I am revealing anything about them then please email me directly and let me know and I will remedy it.  However, the conversations that I have with people can trigger ideas in my head whether it be the questions that they ask about their specific treatments (what caused the pain? or what is that muscle you are working on?), or questions about the techniques that I am using and my approach to different issues.  

The continual conversations I have with my clients is part of why I love my job.  I hope to educate people about their bodies, what might be going slightly adrift (I work with theories of what is going on, and not diagnosing conditions which I leave to those that are qualified to diagnose) and reawaken an interest in themselves.  Quite frequently I am also reminded that I should be doing more to help myself, I try not to be a hypocrite, but I’m only human.

Similarly the books that I read (and as I commute by public transport I have a lot of time for reading) stimulate me in a number of ways that is great. It is something I find fascinating about the human body is that we can do so much to it over the years and it continues to function (maybe in a slowly decreasing ability) and allow us to do what we need to do (maybe not what we actually want to do) and it heals itself.  Then someone like me can, hopefully, come along and work with someone to make the body function in a better way.

This blog will then contain a number of ideas, thoughts and so on that reflect me and the way that I approach things.  It will be a mix of thoughts about Sport & Remedial Massage and Body work techniques (muscles, techniques, training information etc), Reiki (meditations, esoteric approaches, self development (my own as well as for others)etc ) and self help (exercises, postural information, information from talks that I do) If there are any subjects that you would like me to cover, then please get in touch and I will see what I can do (and I won’t promise that I will cover everything).

I will do my best to provide supporting information about claims of effectiveness, but this is not always possible.  I am also not a scientist and it has been a while since I studied statistics, so I will endeavour to not mislead people.  However this blog is partially about me having head space to discuss thoughts and ideas, and I hope that this is clear in what I write.  

My view on what I do is that it is *complementary* medicine, in that it should be seen as working alongside allopathic (“normal”, “western”) medicine and not as a replacement or alternative to. If something is worrying you about your body then please, go and see your GP or a qualified medical practitioner who can diagnose your condition.  If I can then support you in your recovery I would be delighted to help, as long as it is ok with your primary medical treatment.

No comments:

Post a Comment